Thursday, July 17, 2014

IMPASSE AND MIND'S EYE

Studio with work-in-progress, on left Pale Blue Dot and on the right a fresh stretched linen 'canvas'...and then general studio clutter.
 
 
So here's an insight into an artist's way of working. I've been inspired by so many things that my new paintings, over the last year, have to greater or lesser degrees, flowed from me. I say to greater or lesser degrees, because each painting poses different issues, questions, possibilities, delights and problems.
 
But, at the moment the painting-in-progress, on the easel in the photo above, has got me stumped. I love its red richness, but what to do next?
 
There are a few problems with this painting and the main one is that I've got too much in my brain at the moment, some of it inspiring and some not. So many ideas, but no clear picture in my mind's eye. This happens periodically. In the past, years ago, I would have become frustrated and completely destroyed the image, if not ripped off the canvas. But, I've learnt to sit with the frustration especially if I am happy with work-in-progress. So, I am sitting.
 
But, even writing this post is sort of cathartic!
 
I can feel some clearer thoughts percolating.
 
Time will tell........
 
__________________________________________________________________________
 
 
You can see a section of my last painting Pale Blue Dot on the left. Now, this painting flowed, at times easily and at other times not so easily. This painting is essentially about perspective. You can read more by clicking HERE
 
 
............................... 
 
 
 
AND TALKING OF MIND'S EYE
Here's a painting from 2004 called
 
Oil on linen 80 x 120 cm
Previous post can be read HERE
 
 

http://kathrynbrimblecombeart.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/hidden-seen-in-my-minds-eye.html


 
 
NEWS
My next solo show is soon!
 
 
UNTETHERING LANDSCAPE
From Earth-Bound Horizons
 
2-14 September
 
Open daily 10 am - 6 pm or by appointment
 
Graydon Gallery, 29 Merthyr Rd, New Farm, Queensland, Australia
 
Exhibition website is HERE
 
 
...............PLUS..............
 
 
I have been invited again to participate in the

TATTERSALL'S LANDSCAPE $30,000 ART PRIZE
 
The prize is announced on Wednesday 3 September
 
 
Cheers,
Kathryn

No comments: